Friday, September 20, 2013

# 016 You Might Live in Scotland If...

Your child wears and adorable uniform like this: 
She was trying to catch the fog in her mouth ;)

Now that it's cooler, she also wears a blue sweatshirt (they call jumper here) overtop.
 She can also choose to wear the white and blue checkered dress underneath as well. 


Another difference is that the schooling goes by primary and secondary instead of by grades like I am used to in the states. I'm sure many places around the world use this system. But it's all new to me having a daughter in full time school now!

So the equivalents in the states would be:
Nursery = preschool
P1 = kindergarten
P2 = 1st Grade
P2 = 2nd Grade
...and so on and so forth...



We just had Maddy's first parent teacher conference meeting last night and all seems to be going pretty well. She is one of the youngest in her class (if they turn 5 by February, they start P1 that school year). And of course she has a December birthday, so that's that. But she seems to really be enjoying school and setting well. She is working hard even when the work is hard, which makes me proud!

She did ask me one morning if it was a school day and when I said yes, she said, "Oh dear!" When I asked her why she said school was SO long and there is TOO much teaching - haha! Sounds about right for a child's first year in school. I know it will take some time of adjusting. 



I have gotten to help in her classroom which has been really nice to see what they are up to and how she is interacting with her classmates and her teachers. She seems right at home there.

It was quite hard for me at first for her to be gone 9-3, but she seems to be enjoying school and growing more each day. She has made lots of friends in and out of her class and loves playing at the park with them after school. I tell you what though; I sure do soak up every moment I get with her outside of school! I can't believe how quickly this little gal is growing up! I'm thankful for the gift she is to our family!

















1 comment:

Kristen said...

Hi! I just found your blog, we are about to move to Aberdeen. My kiddos are 3 and 4.5, and we'll be doing a local primary school. Is that what y'all are doing? I would love to talk to you about it if so! The few expats I've met have all done the American school. If you would not mind emailing me, I'm kristensupan (at) gmail (dot) com. Thank you!