Thursday, December 31, 2009

A New Year and a New Start


I love the New Year because it allows me the opportunity to reflect back on the previous year and make some much needed changes for the upcoming year.

Last year, I am not sure I really took the time to do this, as we had a 10 day old baby at home who kept us pretty busy ;)

I have to say, this year seems to have flown by compared to others in my life. Perhaps the physical manifestation of "One Year" cruising around the house causing a ruckus has made it more tangible than other years!


Here is my basic list of New Year's Resolutions.

1. Eat healthier (includes shopping healthier and cooking healthier)

2. Meal planning (I want to do this on Saturdays, so that I can be set for the next week). I am so proud of myself, because I meal planned this past week from my Weight Watchers and p90x cookbooks and it made life so much easier!)

3. Calorie counting/weight loss (It's been a year now and the baby weight as GOT to go! The above resolution has helped with this one. These cookbooks include a calorie count, so it has been nice to be able to write in my calorie journal what my dinner will be ahead of time and plan my daily eating accordingly)

4. Work out at least 5 days a week. (I have started this one this past week as well and it's amazing how much better I feel when I at least get a 3o minute work out in!)

5. Read at least one book a month ( I may integrate this some with my graduate school program this next semester and my thesis in the summer. But I want to always be reading and learning)

6. Be more consistent in my personal prayer and Bible Study time. (This is something that I just did not keep up with this past year and I really missed it!)

7. Living life with the blessings of God in view. ( I want to focus on enjoying the the little moments I have with my husband and daughter and thanking God for the roof over my head and the food on my plate. I truly am blessed!)

WHAT ARE SOME OF YOUR NEW YEAR'S RESOLUTIONS?


Here is one of the meals I had in my menu for this week. It was yummy!

Beef and Broccoli Stir-Fry (serves 4)

1/4 cup soy sauce
1/2 red onion
1 Tbsp garlic, minced
1-1/2 pound top sirloin steak, sliced 1 inch thick
1 Tbsp sesame oil
2 Tbsp rice vinegar
1 tbsp ginger, minced
4 cups broccoli florets
8 ounces dried soba noodles

1. Bring 2 quarts of water to a boil.
2. Meanwhile, heat a small amount of soy cause in a large saute pan, add the onions and garlic, and saute until opaque.
3. Add beef and saute, turning often with tongs for 7-10 minutes. Stir together oil, vinegar, and ginger and add to the saute mixture.
4. Blanch the broccoli in the boiling water (or microwave on high, covered and vented for 2 minutes). Add the meat mixture and keep warm.
5. Prepare soba noodles according to package directions. Drain, toss with the beef and broccoli, and serve.

Nutritional information: 466 cals, 11 g Total fat, 46g protein, 49 Carbs, 99 mg Chol, 1,591 Sodium



1 comment:

JordanandSue said...

My resolution is to make that dish! YUM :) What great resolutions... you got me thinkin' about mine for the year. What sweet pics of Madison, too! Ah, I do miss those sleepy cuddly days.. :)