Monday, August 20, 2007

My First Day of School

Well, I spent all week last week preparing for this day: the first day of school! I have 12 kids in my class so far ( they expect for me to have 15-17). It was a great day overall. The kids have a lot of energy and I like that, but it certainly is a challenge to keep them focused and to keep them quiet when they need to be.

We did some fun activities though. We played the toilet paper introducation game. I told the class that we were going to do an activity with Toilet paper and to take as much as they thing they will need for the activity. After everyone takes what they want (usually a few take A LOT) - I tell them that they need to tell one thing about themselves for every square of paper... they all moan --- but it's a fun way to get to know each other!

Then there is the factor that this school is a so different compared to GCA. So it will definately take some time getting use to.

But overall I am excited that God has placed me here and looking forward to the ministry that he has for me.

6 comments:

Kristin said...

I'm glad your first day went well. We'll continue to pray for you and Tim as you get acclimated. Keep us updated! We miss you guys.

Katie Barker said...

Wow, I can't believe it's really back to school time. Not that I have much longer - College classes start next week, but this year it just doesn't quite seem like summer is over yet!

The TP game sounds fun. Maybe I will try it with my international students. Wouldn't that be fun! What were some of the things that the kids said about themselves? Anything really funny or unusual?

Don & Katrina Hines said...

Great! I'm glad your class went well. I need to start praying for you more this week with being the first week of school . . . I had no idea it started already for you. Boy, you didn't have much time to prepare from when you got the position! I'm sure you're doing GREAT though! You're an amazing teacher! (Cuz, you know it is Renee who stinks!)

Anonymous said...

Hey, I'm sorry I didn't even know that you started teaching! I am glad that you had a good day and I hope this year will be a great year for you. I have no doubts it will have its challenges, but I know you will move through those well. Love you and Tim! Take care!

juliechall said...

It's good to hear your update - I'm sure it's nice to get started and see what things will be like. We are praying for you guys through all the transitions.

Prince of Paupers said...

Hi Jules... glad you made it through your first day (and the hurricane storms of Thursday!) You are such a wonderful teacher and what a great mom you will be!
Proud of you! DAD
Hey Tim, Love you man! DAD