Monday, January 02, 2012

Menu Plan Monday + BEST Cornbread!


Monday- Beef stuffed peppers (389 calories per pepper- More nutritional info here.)

Tuesday - Salmon with Lemon and Dill (320 Calories per fillet), Salad with Lemon-Dill Vinaigrette (43 calories)

Wednesday - Red chili and cornbread. I got this Chili recipe of my Friend Suzanne's blog called, Frugal Rock - love her and her blog! Thanks Suz, I've been needing a good chili recipe!

*I serve this chili with the most amazing cornbread ever. One of my college professor's wives gave it to me way back in 2000. Every time I serve it people go nuts! It's a souped up jiffy mix recipe and we can't even get jiffy mix over here. I have to order it off of Amazon UK - that's how good this stuff is - I have to have it :) But I will say this - it makes a HUGE amount of cornbread 9x13 and THICK! So I usually make a whole batch and freeze half of the batter for the next time I make chili :)

-Oh and it's absolutely terrible for you. BUT it's SO worth the calories! So with my calorie counting, I'll only be having one piece with my chili.


THE BEST Cornbread: 
3 small boxes of jiffy cornbread mix    
1 stick of melted butter    
5 eggs                                          
1 (12 oz) can of evaporated milk
1 cup of sugar

* Beat eggs and mix in sugar. Add milk, stir well. Add melted butter and jiffy mix, stir well. Put in a 9x13 pan and bake (at 350) until golden brown (about 45 min). It makes A LOT of corn bread. So I usually freeze half of the batter in a tupperware container and bake only half in a 8x8 pan ;)


Thursday - Cream of Broccoli Soup (309 calories), crispy bred

Friday-  Chicken Roulade and roasted carrots


I'm linked up with Orgjunkie

3 comments:

Miss Mommy said...

So, an alternative to Jiffy Mix is the corn meal you can find at Matthew's Market- oddly enough, it's an Asian market. Figures.

Suzanne said...

I love stuffed peppers ... I wish Ryan did, too. Let me know how the chili turns out. I'm going to have to try that cornbread, too. I LOVE cornbread. Trader Joes makes a yummy mix, too.

jeileenbaylor said...

Emily - so is the corn meal at Mathew's Market just plain cornmeal or does it have the flour and baking powder, salt etc. like jiffy cornbread mix?