Saturday, August 25, 2012

#010 You Might Live in Scotland If...

... your butter comes in a 250 gram rectangular block instead of a 1/2 cup pre-measured "stick".


This is what it looks like and I have found my food scale to be a life saver here. 
1 stick of butter = 4oz.  So I slice it up and weigh it.


 But I have started using more UK recipes that call for a certain number of grams of butter. So I like that my scale switches easily between ounces and grams! It's been SO helpful with my cooking and baking here! And I daresay I'm more accurate. I even weigh my flour now instead of measuring it by hand!

For my UK friends, this is what our "stick of butter" looks like if you see that term on my recipes from time to time :)

1 stick of butter = 8 tablespoons = 1/2 cup = 4oz. = 113g

1 comment:

Katie Barker said...

You're awesome for using a scale! I bet you'll never cook the same back in the states again :)