Wednesday, March 09, 2011

Kale Chips

Ok, so even though yesterday's post about Chipotle may not seem like it, I have been making some serious changes to my diet and exercise regimen since January 1, 2011 and I have been feeling SO much better! Oh and BTW when I do Chipotle, I do half of the burrito bowl and save the other half for another meal ;)

My goal is to lose the baby weight and get healthy again. So far I have lost 10 lbs! Some weeks have been better than others, but I am on the slow and steady progression DOWNWARD ;) Perhaps I will blog about that journey another day, but today's post is about KALE CHIPS! I found this recipe on one of my new favorite blogs called "Snack Girl" that my friend Abbey turned me onto. It's a blog all about healthy snacks. She has some really great and practical ideas.

Kale chips are one of my new favorites. I have to admit, I didn't think that I would like them, but for a whole bowl of these crispy salty chips it is only 100 calores and you are getting some major nutrients too! You definitely should try them. They're super easy and oh so yum!

Kale Chips
(Makes 2 servings)
1 bunch kale (or 1/2 pound)
2 teaspoons good quality olive oil
salt to taste
Preheat oven to 375 F. Line rimmed cookie sheets (also called hotel pans) with parchment paper (see note below). Tear the leaves off the thick stems into chip sized pieces. An easy way to do this is to fold the leaf in half and just rip toward the stem. Spread pieces out on cookie sheets. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle salt to taste. Bake 8 minutes or until edges are brown and kale is crispy when moved in pan.
If you don't have parchment paper, you can use aluminum foil or neither. The idea here is to make clean up easy (just toss the paper and then you have less work to do).

7 comments:

Katie Barker said...

okay - very adventurous of you! I don't if I'd like them. What do they taste like? Is it a veggies kind of taste? Has Baylor tried them yet? (what did he say)

jeileenbaylor said...

They end up mainly tasting salty and crispy. I mean they have a little bit of veggie taste, but they are light, not heavy like I thought they would be. Tim hasn't tried them - but I we'll see.

Lisa Patterson said...

We loooove kale chips here at the Patterson Beehive. You can experiment with different salt mixtures too... to change it up a bit. Delish!!! Thanks for your post! And as far as Chipotle goes... i think its one of the more healthier fast food restaurants out there! Enjoy those beany, cheesy, guacamoley burritos, girl!

Andrea said...

They look interesting! I'm trying to start watching what I'm eating too, and maybe I'll have to try these. I can't do olive oil (it was an aversion during my pregnancy with Micah, and I still can't stand even the smell of it!), but I can try a different kind. I wonder if the boys would eat them?! :)

kellyH said...

congrats and great luck on your way!! I started making these a couple of years ago and I really like them, but Andrew refuses to have them in the house. :-) the only thing is they do really stink, haha! but definitely a great alternative.

juliechall said...

Way to go Jules! Now that I'm back in pregnancy mode again, I'm really trying to remember what it's like to try to lose the extra weight after the fact. I also feel pretty skeptical about these chips but just might give them a try :) (in the second trimester)

Lacie said...

These are fantastic! I've made this before and love them...especially with garlic sprinkled over it!