Monday, November 28, 2011

Britain's Saddest City?

 So Tim shared this article with me today called, Welcome to Aberdeen, Britain's Saddest City.  Nice. Read it if you get a chance. It's crazy! I have to admit after reading it I was kind of depressed. I mean I knew the dark winter would be hard due to the fact that we are so far North, but I didn't think about all of the problems they say that could bring: sleepiness, lack of motivation, depression (Seasonal Affective Disorder), weight gain, higher prices for heat and lights etc. etc.

To give you an idea of what I'm talking about, on the Winter Solstice, when the earth is tilted at its' maximum degree away from the sun, there are only 6 hours and 40min of daylight!

To flesh that out for you, that means on December 22  the sun will not even begin to rise until 8:47am and will be completely set by 3:27pm! Wow - talk about a "short day".  I'm already having a hard time getting my booty out of bed at 7am when Madison wakes up because it is PITCH DARK out - weird. On the up side, the girls are taking longer naps because by the end of their nap time - yup - you guessed it - it's dark again!

But the weird thing is that on the Summer Solstice, when the earth is tilted at it's maximum degree towards the sun, there are 17 hours, 55 min of daylight!  So that means on June 22nd, the sun will rise at 4:12am and set at 10:08pm! Weird. And because of the angle the sun is in the sky, it seems so much brighter as it's just about always right in your eyes -haha! The little things I didn't think of before we moved here!

So we have quite the adjustment to make with seasons here. To be completely honest, I'm kind of dreading December, January and February. We have no visitors and it's going to be cold and dark.
 If you think about us, pray that we can keep our hearts and minds focused on Christ's faithful love for us. For in Him there is no shadow of changing!

5 comments:

Danielle said...

That is SHOCKING! I have never heard of that. I can't even imagine!!! I know you Baylor's will handle it well though. You guys are so "go with the flow"& flexible. :)

Unknown said...

Wow! Julie! I thought it was bad here in the states! Crazy! I will totally be thinking of you this winter. I feel a special bond to you (although you are much farther away) but I know what it's like to move and not know anyone. It's been hard for me too! I try to not get negative and to think on God's promises to me, but it's a hard battle for my mind. I just think it's so hard when people around you don't know you well, and you don't know them well. I will be praying specifically for you! Keep me posted on how you're doing!

supplaya said...

that article is 12 years old.

juliechall said...

That is amazing. I think of you and pray for you often and will keep this "extra" challenge in mind.

Katie said...

I will definitely be praying for you in this regard, Julie. And I will pray that you have some unexpected guests to brighten things up! We are gearing up for our move, and will be facing a climate change in a much different direction. :) I don't think I will mind until fall. :)