Wednesday, May 09, 2012

Sticky Toffee Pudding Cake

Tim's parents went to Inverness while they were here and had some amazing sticky toffee pudding cake and asked me to try to make it for them before they left. So I searched the web with Tim's mom looking at the pictures and the recipes to try to find one similar to what they had with high ratings.
I found this recipe and tried it. It's traditionally a British dish, so I was glad to give it a try :)

Everyone said it was amazing. I was so glad. To be honest, I was a little nervous about trying to replicate a certain recipe that a restaurant had made. But it was so sticky and yummy! And everyone approved.

It's a little crazy, because you finely chop dates and then boil them in water until it becomes kind of a thick stew. Then you take it off the heat and add 2t of baking soda. This is where it gets fun and feels a little like a science experiment - which I LOVE! It gets all bubbly and frothy; then you need to let it cool and mix it into the cake batter alternately with the flour.

It makes the cake itself taste like a mix of a spice cake and a gingerbread cookie. It didn't taste like dates at all to me! And then you drizzle the homemade hot caramel toffee over it and enjoy! Yum :)

* I used honey instead of corn syrup and I think you could do a dollop of vanilla ice-cream instead of whipping cream. We didn't do either and it was still really good, but very rich.

I'm telling you, you need to try this!



No comments: