Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Holy Week

In celebration of Holy Week and preparation for Good Friday (celebration of Christ's death for our sins) and Resurrection Sunday (Celebration of Christ's victory over sin, death, and the grave 3 days later) my friend Kelly and I decided to read the book of Luke. We decided a little late though (Two days ago to be exact) so we have been reading several chapters a day, just so we can be reading Luke's telling of the death, burial, and resurrection of Christ over the Easter weekend.

I have been excited about his challenge because to be honest, I have just been struggling to get into the word lately. And I know that once I do, I will "Taste and See that the Lord is good" and find my JOY in Him again. This exercise so far as proved to do just that. Reading through the book more quickly has been so refreshing, giving me a great overview of Christ's life. I mean think about it. Sunday I read about Christ's birth; yesterday I read about his childhood; today I read about some of his many miracles and His temptation in the wilderness. In two days I will read about how he was betrayed by a close friend, nailed to a cross, pierced with a sword, and then on Sunday about how he was raised from the dead! What way to celebrate Holy Week?!

How have you and your family been preparing and how do you celebrate Easter week/weekend? I am really wanting Easter to become as big (if not bigger) of  a celebration in our family as Christmas is. Any ideas for me?

I wanted to include and expert from Luke 6 that was water for my dry soul today.

Luke 6:20-26
"And he (Jesus) lifted up his eyes on his disciples and said:

Blessed are you who are poor, for yours is the Kingdom of God.
Blessed are you who are hungry now, for you shall be satisfied.
Blessed are you who weep now, for you shall laugh.
Blessed are you when people hate you and when they exclude you and revile you and spurn your name as evil, on account of the Son of Man! Rejoice in that day, and leap for joy, for behold your reward is great in heaven, for so their fathers did to the prophets.

But woe to you who are rich, for you have received your consolation.
Woe to you who are full now, for you shall be hungry.
Woe to you who laugh now, for you shall mourn and weep.
Woe to you, when all people speak well of you for so their fathers did to the false prophets.

But I say to you who hear, Love your enemies and do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who abuse you."

3 comments:

Suz said...

Hey Jules....loved this blog post. Thanks for the encouragement and I may just join you by starting Luke today! :)

We haven't made it such a huge deal this year and I'm disappointed that I haven't done that for the boys, but in the past we've used the Easter eggs that have the little "things" inside to tell the Easter story. Maybe you could invest in a few little books that tell the Easter story simply for the girls. My boys loved those Easter eggs, though. I'll look for a link for you and try to remember to email it to you. Will played with them so much that he lost a lot of the pieces, sadly. I think you could find them at a local Christian book store, I'd bet.

Love to you, and those sweet girls, and of course my brother. :)

jeileenbaylor said...

oh suz! great ideas! i had forgotten that I had done that plastic egg story telling with my students! I am sure I can dig that up somewhere. Thanks ;) Love you all lots too!

Don & Katrina Hines said...

I am totally going to swipe your idea. Don and I just spoke about this very same concept - make Easter full of wonderful traditions to commemorate our great Savior! I'll be questioning via facebook and see what great ideas come from it. Thanks for your honesty and your chat today! I love you, friend!