Monday, October 24, 2011

Menu Plan Monday


Well, I am starting a new series of posts called "Meal Plan Monday". I got the idea from a new friend here in Scotland, Emily, who has this fabulous blog called, "The Adventures of Miss Mommy" and she got the idea from "Organizing Junkie" who hosts the official "Menu Plan Monday" and has all of these wonderful banners and other great ideas :) If you are interested in getting in on it, just check out her guidelines here.

I am doing Meal Plan Monday for a two reasons:
1. I want to keep myself accountable to meal planning. I am try sporadic at best in my meal planning endeavors. I always have the best intentions, but then somehow just end up running to the grocery store and grabbing things I "think" we need. Then I make meals on the fly and I HATE it because it really stresses me out!

2. I need to save money on our grocery bill. Bottom line- when you only buy what you really need for the week, you spend less! Who would have thought?! 

3. I would like to share and to get new recipes! When I link up to Org Junkie, they have a whole list of people who also do Meal Plan Monday and who have links to their recipes or have their recipes posted. I'm excited to find some new recipe ideas! So hear goes nothing!


Monday
Broiled Parmesan Tilapia, rice, and grilled broccoli
* I got this one from Emily and am excited to try it tonight!
Tuesday
Pasta Pie, salad, and garlic bread

Wednesday

Thursday
Baked Mac and Cheese and green salad
Golden and crisp on the outside...
Creamy and gooey on the inside. Need I say more?!
 *When I had just had our second daughter Rose, a friend brought us this Baked Mac and cheese (by Martha Stewart) and my husband ate it 4 or 5 days in a row it was so stinkin' amazing!

Friday 
Harvest Salad with honey balsamic vinaigrette and french bread
Picture and recipe by Missy of "So Freakin' Delicious"

* I just found this one on my friend Missy's blog, and am really
 looking forward to trying it!

Saturday
Left overs or Date night

Sunday
Chicken Pot Pie
Ingredients
3 chicken breasts
6 chicken thighs
1 medium onion, diced
2 stalks celery, sliced
3 whole carrots, chopped
1 cup baby carrots, chopped, blanched and shocked in ice water
1 cup frozen green peas, blanched and shocked in ice water
1 cup crimini mushrooms, quartered, and sautéed in butter, and cooled
½ cup pearl onions (fresh or frozen) peeled, blanched and shocked in ice water
1 whole egg beaten
1 sheet frozen puff pastry
1 recipe chicken sauce (see below)
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Place chicken, onion, celery, carrots, salt and pepper in large stock pot, cover with water. Simmer in covered pot until chicken is no longer pink. Approximately 25 minutes.
Strain the broth, and set aside to use in the chicken cream sauce.
Remove chicken and cool, cut into bite size pieces.
In a non-reactive bowl combine celery, carrots, peas, mushrooms, onions, and chicken.
Evenly divide mixture into deep pie pans.
Cut puff pastry to fit pie pan, leaving a 2 inch border.
Lay puff pastry over filling crimping edges, trimming edges if necessary.
Cut a hole in the center of the pastry to allow steam to escape.
Beat 1 whole egg, and brush over crust.
Bake until crust is golden brown, and filling is bubbly. Approximately 25 minutes.
Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Chicken sauce
Ingredients
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons AP flour
¼ cup chicken broth
½ cup heavy cream
½ tablespoon Tabasco
½ tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
Melt the butter in a medium saucepan once the butter has melted stir in the flour. Add the reserved chicken stock and heavy cream. Stir constantly until mixture comes to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for two minutes. Remove from heat, add Worcestershire, Tabasco, salt and pepper (to taste).

4 comments:

Danielle said...

YUMMY! Please ship your leftovers to my house. You have our address, right?!?!?! :)

Miss Mommy said...

Mmmmm...pretty sure we like the exact same stuff!! Please make me a meal when I have this baby...um, did I actually just type that? Yes, I did.

Unknown said...

wow! You are goign to have a wonderful week of great meals!
I meal plan most of the time, and it helps EVERYTHING! our budget, time, my stress level. I try to only go to grocery store once a week. since we've moved I've found it ahrd to get into a rythm but I'm hopeful that i will soon!
looking forward to seeing more of your ideas to help mine. :)

Lacie said...

LOVE this, Julie!