Friday, February 24, 2006


My Semester in Theology This semester I am dividing my time between 1) Ecclesiology/Eschatology, 2) Theological German, 3) Pastoral Counseling, 4) Preaching, and 5) Biblical Theology. By far I am enjoying Biblical Theology the most as it involves methods and themes of the text the most. Of late I have been reading the classic -- New Testament Theology: Basic Issues in the Current Debate by Hasel. I have found it both stimulating and frustrating. Hasel is stimulating in that he is able to concisely summarize entire lifetimes of work in the field Biblical Theology in only a few pages. Hasel is frustrating in that he is so concise. After one reads about Oscar Cullmann or Rudolph Bultmann, one still feels as though he knows too little of each author's perspectives on NT theology. I am planning to crack "According to Plan" by Graeme Goldsworthy as my next text for Biblical Theology. I am interested to see what his take on the center of the Bible is. I know already that he is a strong proponent of typology as the hermeneutical key to the Scriptures, and I am already predisposed against this given my progressive dispensational proclivities, however, as I am continually brought into a greater understanding of the unity of the Bible, I have found that the chasm which separated me from covenantalism grows smaller by the day! Soli Deo Gloria, Tim

No comments: