Thursday, October 08, 2009

Autumn and Apple Crisp

If you live in the Chicago land area, you know how windy and cool it has been lately. I am actually enjoying the chilly weather, changing leaves, and wearing jeans and sweaters again. We have even pulled out the hats and scarves. This is Madison and I right before she, Tim and I headed out for breakfast last Saturday morning at our one of our favorite local places called "Eggsperience".
The weather has put Tim and I in the mood for some Fall treats like hot apple cider and hot apple crisp. Fortunately we went to an apple orchard with some friends a few weeks ago and a big bag of apples. I decided to make it last minute after class (I got home at 10pm) and I didn't have much time or many ingredients, so I googled "Easy Apple Crisp". This is the recipe I came up with. It was super easy and was warm and tasty!

Tim even helped me peal the apples( I hate doing that!). I have a Pampered Chef peeler, corer, slicer, but the slices come out so thin and I can't see a way to change the settings to make the slices thicker. So if you have one and know how to do that - PLEASE let me know ;)

I have included the recipe below. Happy Autumn and Happy Baking!



EASY APPLE CRISP Printed from COOKS.COM


4-5 lg. cooking apples (Cortland) 1 c. sugar 1 1/2 tbsp. cinnamon Dash of nutmeg

1 c. quick Quaker oats 1/4 c. flour 1/2 c. butter, melted


Slice apples into 8 or 9 inch round casserole dish. Combine sugar and cinnamon and nutmeg. Sprinkle 2/3 of the mixture over the apples. For the crumb topping - add the remaining 1/3 cup of sugar to the oats, flour and melted butter. Top apples with the mixture and bake about 30 minutes at 350 degrees. Serve hot with ice cream.

8 comments:

Kristin said...

This is one my favorite times of the year! Your apple crisp looks delicious. We've had a few autumn like days, but not many. Miss you guys!

Jenny said...

Julie, just sent you an email. :-) Hope it helps! That apple crisp looks yummy!

(Your friendly Pampered Chef consultant)

cranny + b said...

yummo! Thanks for the recipe--and I love that picture of you two:)

kellyH said...

that does look yummy & delicious! LOVE Maddy's hat. :)

Danielle said...

YUMMMMMM!!

JordanandSue said...

Now THAT will put me in the Fall spirit! That looks so good...

juliechall said...

Wow...that sounds really good right now. I'm sitting out on the front porch...and even in Virginia Beach, the weather is starting to get chilly! I haven't pulled out my sweaters yet...but soon. I also love hearing about Long Grove Village. I have been dying to apple picking or to a fun place like that. Maybe this fall...

Amy said...

I love this time of year, too. I was just thinking about how we were in India this time last year and how miserable I was! I missed the cool air, the changing leaves, the smell of fireplaces! So I'm trying to enjoy every minute now. =)
What a fun recipe, I'll definitely have to try it. Thanks!